Saturday, July 23, 2011

Unauthorized Bio of Dr. Phil - Blog 2

The Making of Dr. Phil


Just started reading The Making Of Dr. Phil today and as promised, I am going to sum up some of the accounts reported by Sophia Dembling and Lisa Gutierrez in their book. These women have done extensive interviews with many people whose paths have crossed with Dr. Phil’s throughout the years, as well as, done research and have 27 pages of source notes to back up their information. I credit their book with everything I am about to blog about concerning the “real” Dr. Phil. All of my opinions and comments will be in italics so as not to be confused with information from the book.


Moving on to more of Dr. Phil’s life, ready? In 1971 in Topeka Kansas, a new Grecian Health Spa sprung up. Barely furnished with equipment because it was “new,” the spa salesmen were actively selling “lifetime” memberships to unsuspecting clientele, who were investing money in their future health. Even after filing for bankruptcy, the Spa was accepting lifetime memberships. Yes, by now you figured out that the spa was owned and run by a 21 year old Phil McGraw. When the doors closed, Phil left town in the middle of the night, like a thief, owing the landlady rent and leaving her building a mess.  (chapter 5).

You know Dr. Phil has done shows on “con artists.” Let’s see, “Conned By A Con Artist - August 11, 2006 and Con Artists and Thieves - Jan 23, 2008, just to name a couple. I guess he knows a thing or two about the subject? So now, what is a poor con artist to do?


In 1973 Phil returns home to his father, who had just gotten his license to practice psychology. Phil has no money and no plan. His dad has a bright idea. He wants Phil to go back to school and get his degree too so they can have a father son practice. Phil enrolls in college and meets Robin one day, while she is visiting his sister. Was his first marriage annulled yet? Phil marries Robin in 1977, four years later, and they live in a small apartment while he finishes his studies. In 1979 he receives his doctorate degree and plans to work in his father’s practice.

I’ll give him credit for getting his BA and PhD. in just six years. But, I have to say I can’t wait to read what he has done with that degree and how many people he has actually helped. I think the author should try to republish this book with new material. It wasn’t well received the first time because Phil’s star was rising back then. But I think, now that his star is a bit more tarnished, they are ready to read the truth. I have already written to the author and perhaps I will try again when I am done reading the book. There are a few more years that have past and she can include the Britney Spears fiasco, among other things.

Have I said how much I love this book? I do not usually read books to blog about them, but this one is an exception! I really suggest you all read it cover to cover and write to the authors. This is just the bare bones of what they have uncovered!  I would love for them to update it and put it back out there today. In 2004 people may not have been ready to see Dr. Phil exposed, but I do believe they are ready today!

No comments:

Post a Comment