Sunday, September 6, 2015

Mom's Candle . . .



While we were in Lancaster, PA and browsing through all the specialty shops in Kettle Kitchen, my daughter was busy smelling candles. She turns to me and tells me to smell the one in her hand. I knew that smell well, but I couldn't identify it immediately. The name of the candle, made by 1803, is called Lavender Linen. I take another smell and tell her, "It smells like my mother." Of course she didn't remember my mother’s scent, but she is partial to the fresh linen scent. Maybe because she spent so much of her baby and toddler years being held, cuddled and hugged by grandma. I took another whiff of this candle, that stirred up so many memories of my childhood, when my daughter turned to me an said I’m buying this for you. I told her she didn’t have to, but she insisted, saying “You said it smells like Grandma.” My first thought was to let my brother smell it and see if he had the same feeling as I did. 

About a week later, my brother was visiting me and I suddenly remembered the candle. I brought it down and opened it for him to smell. “What does this smell like,” I asked. He said it smelled familiar, he knew the scent, but couldn’t put his finger on it. I gave him some time, but he could identify it. He asks me what I think it smells like. I said, “Mom.” He nodded and smelled it again. 

My mother, who never wore perfume and used Camay soap, always washed her laundry and hung it out to dry on the clothesline. The fragrance from her freshly laundered clothes, that crisp linen smell, was strong and almost intoxicating. This simple candle captured it perfectly. Suddenly, I had the urge to try and purchase more of these candles. I checked online and the scent has been discontinued by the manufacturer, their remaining candles sold out. I don’t recall the store we purchased the one I have, so I checked all the stores in Kettle Kitchen online. None of them advertised the scent, probably because it’s been discontinued. In any case it’s no where to be found online. 

I’m not going to light this candle unless I find another one just like it somewhere on a store shelf.  I love it. My daughter must have been instinctually aware of it significance, more so than I was that moment in the store. I’m so happy she bought it for me. Every time I smell it I’m transported back in time, to kisses and hugs, to unconditional love . . . to mom. 






1 comment:

  1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Royal-Court-8-oz-Jar-Candle-LINEN-AND-LAVENDER-/191796972650?hash=item2ca7fd8c6a:g:VA8AAOSwHjNWANTl


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-LINEN-LAVENDER-Very-Popular-Scentations-Vintage-Mason-Jar-Candle-8oz-/221943688373?hash=item33acdfecb5:g:xK8AAOSwZVhWS3NP


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDREA-SCHRODER-NATURAL-COCONUT-OIL-CANDLE-10-5-OZ-GIFT-BOXED-YOU-CHOOSE-SCENT-/252295549435?var=551131714747&hash=item3abdfc91fb:m:mUpyJhFD1ZELrE7pHgMHcDw

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-New-Andrea-Schroder-Lavender-Linen-Candles-10-5oz-/151975663464?hash=item2362749768:g:Eo4AAOSw5dNWtjdG

    ReplyDelete