Monday, January 20, 2020

My Younger Daughter's 30th Birthday

A nice Rainbow Cake!


It seems like yesterday when she was born. A little bundle of joy to complete our family. As bad as my memory is I will never forget that day or many of the ones since. It's hard to believe that she actually was born 30 years ago. She is one of the sweetest human beings to walk on this earth and it is my privilege to be her mom. She is a genuinely good person in every way. And, now she has reached a milestone birthday, it should be celebrated properly. But the timing for a big celebration just wasn't in the cards this year. And, truth be told, my daughter is a quiet, modest girl that doesn't like a lot of fanfare and attention, and a big party may not have been to her liking anyway.

There's been a lot going on in her life and mine through all of 2019 and continuing into 2020. Staring with her engagement, her sister having her first baby . . . her goddaughter, planning a wedding, buying a new house, getting rear-ended in a hit and run accident, and my own health issue which necessitated getting radiation treatments from the day after Christmas to early February. And did I mention wedding planning?  We are in the last three months before the wedding and there is a lot to do and loose ends to tie up and appointments to me made. All this after a world wind of celebration caused by the holidays. So a big birthday party would have been a bit overwhelming right now.

We decided on a nice small family dinner at one of our local favorite restaurants. This would be her celebration and also my husband's, who turned 65. My daughter suggested that we combine both birthdays which would save us all a weekend and a lot of time which is precious commodity right now. So I made reservations for this past Saturday and hoped the weather would cooperate with our plans.  Everything went smoothly. We all enjoyed our dinners and the baby, my sweet granddaughter, was very social and "read" the menu while we ate.

As for dessert, we always have that at home so we can digest our meals first. I was thinking about what kind of birthday cake to order that we all would enjoy. I have to say, at this point I was very sick of food of all kinds. Two months of holiday eating and 12 months of celebrating special occasions in 2019 has left me with little desire to indulge in much. But, the least I could do was to get a nice cake for my daughter and my husband. I found a bakery in the neighborhood that makes Rainbow Cakes. We all love rainbow cookies so I decided to go order one and surprise my daughter.  And, she was surprised when I cut into it and she saw what kind of cake it was.


As for gifts, we just had Christmas. This has been a problem every year since my daughter was born. What is left to get for her birthday in January after you have gotten everything for Christmas?  This year it wasn't too much of a dilemma. For Christmas I gave her and her fiancĂ© "couple's gifts," which I got off the wedding registry. There were a few items that they hadn't gotten at the shower and they made nice gifts for Christmas. But I did feel bad that my daughter didn't get any personal gifts for her to enjoy. So I thought about it and came up with he idea to get her a nice simple jewelry box and a couple of pairs of earrings that I thought she would like, and she did.



Still, I feel a little bad that we didn't do more this year. Maybe next year we will make up for it. But for now, she was happy sharing her day with her family and looking forward to her wedding.


And just to show you just how sweet my daughter is, she brought a gift for her father. The only one he got that day. It was a handmade wooden watch that she really wanted him to have. It was only after she left, that we saw the inscription on the back that said, "Greatest Dad a daughter can have." It brought tears to our eyes and joy to our hearts. That's my baby girl!







No comments:

Post a Comment