Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston, RIP



I was shocked just like everyone else last night when the news broke that Whitney Houston was dead. I had no idea she was so young. Only 48 years old and she has been an icon in the music industry since her career first began. It seemed like she had been around forever. Her song, “I Will Always Love You” could never be replicated by another singer, though some have come close. That was her song and the song I identified with her and her alone. It’s so tragic and it’s a great loss we have all suffered.

They don’t have a cause of death yet, but it has been reported that she seemed healthy and beautiful when seen a few days earlier. We all know about her long struggle with addiction and who knows if drugs were the cause. Her body has taken so much abuse, physically, emotionally, mentally and chemically. My heart goes out to her daughter, Bobbi Kristina, who lost her mother. I saw Whitney’s two day interview with Oprah in 2009. She had released a new album, “I Look To You.” Her daughter was there supporting her mother. Whitney talked about her life and addiction openly. She seemed to have found her way back on track with the help and love of her daughter. The two seemed very close.

I remember that Whitney went on a world tour, called Nothing But Love, soon after that interview and it was a dismal failure in Australia, where the audience booed her and many walked out on her performance. It was promoted as her comeback tour. But, her voice wasn’t the same, the reviews were very bad. I don’t know who thought she was ready for something like that, but they set her up for a huge failure and overwhelming embarrassment. Maybe that set her back? I don’t know. The world can be a very cruel place.

Whitney was in town for the Grammys in LA. They found her dead in her hotel room. Tonight, Jennifer Hudson is going to do a special tribute to Whitney. I don’t think there will be a dry eye in the house.

There will never be another Whitney Houston. She was one of a kind. I feel we were blessed to have had her and know her in our lifetimes. It’s just so sad that the events in her life caused her to cut short her career and her life. She should have been singing for decades. I think everyone is thinking the same thing today…Whitney Houston, We Will Always Love You. RIP

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. Looks like addiction strikes again, nothing more to say . RIP Whitney.

    ReplyDelete