Wednesday, October 3, 2012

When I Look In The Mirror...



When I look in the mirror, I don’t see a democrat or bleeding heart liberal. But, when I look in the eyes of some of my friends, that is all I see in the reflection of their eyes. I’ve been reduced down to one element of my whole being. The casualties of the 2012 election are not over. So far, two friends unfriended me because I posted a quote about Romney’s money when I should have been posting about more serious issues. One “friend” called me a moron for agreeing with an article I posted. The same person called a friend of mine the “C” word and then went back and edited out the “u” so he didn’t look so “bad.” Then he had the audacity to tell my friend she should move out of “his country.” I generally don’t unfriend or block people, but I had to unfriend him.

Yesterday there was a discussion on facebook that I joined. The Obama “O” was being called a symbol while the Romney “R” was referred to as a logo. If you google Obama logo and/or symbol you get the “O.” If you google Romney logo/symbol, you get the “R.” I stated that they were both logos and a logo is a symbol. To which a friend of mine replied with the middle finger like so “┌∩┐..how's that for a symbol?” and her comment was promptly “liked” by another one of her very astute friends. Now what did I say that was so wrong? I have never been told, “F*ck you,” in my life by anyone, let alone a “friend.” I have never even said those words myself to anyone and it’s not because I never had good reason. However, I find it troubling, insulting, vulgar and rude. I would not respond in kind. But this incident gave me pause to think, because these are not the only people I am having issues with this election.

I have been online, chatting and talking to people I have never met or even spoken to on the phone, for years now. I can’t tell you how many of these people I feel I have been a good friend to. I am not trying to toot my own horn. I am just saying that I value people, I care about them, and would go out of my way to do whatever I can to help. Now I am going to mention a few things I have done, without mentioning names, because some of these acts were private and will always remain so. I help anyone, democrat or republican, I don’t consider their political views when I extend the hand of friendship. That’s who I am, not just a democrat. When you were unable to pay for a pet’s operation and I donated to the cause, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. And when I helped some of you provide a nice Christmas for your children when you weren’t able to, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. And when you were overwhelmed by some medical condition and needed someone to talk to or research doctors or remedies, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. When your expensive, new cell phones fell in the toilet and I offered you my old one, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. When your house had an eviction sign on the door and I helped stop the proceedings, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. When you needed someone to drop everything and listen to your problem, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. And when I offered good advice that made your life a little easier, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. When I tried to help you find financial aid for your daughter’s college education, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. When you requested prayers for yourself and family, you didn’t mind my being a democrat. But now, my being a democrat is all you see? It’s sad, if that’s true.

When I look in the mirror, I don’t see a democrat. I see a mother. I see a wife. I see a daughter. I see a sister. I see a friend. If you are reading this and all you see is a democrat when you look at me, I have a huge favor to ask of you. Please unfriend me now. It’s easy. Just a click of a button. Please don’t waste another second. Because when I look at you, I see a friend, not a republican. I give 100% to all my friends. I don’t “love by halves, it’s not my nature.”

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” 
― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

If you don’t feel the same way, then I invite you to leave and I promise no ill will or hard feelings. It will allow me to better focus on those who appreciate me being in their lives. Those who like it when I praise their accomplishments or their children’s. Those who love my sense of humor. Those who know that if they ever need someone to talk to they can count on me for advice, prayers, help, whatever it is in my power to do. That’s who I am, and that’s who I see in the mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment