Friday, March 29, 2013

Old Friends, New Keepsakes…


I am writing this blog through blurry, tear-filled eyes. Happy and emotional tears. Why the tears? Well this morning I received a special package in the mail, an unexpected package, one filled with cards and trinkets and expressions of friendship, from some dear friends I have had for years. These are friends I have never met, some I’ve never even chatted with, except, of course, online. They all got together and conspired to give me something precious, a new box for special keepsakes and things to fill it with.

As you may recall, in February I wrote a series of blogs about a ten year friendship that ended three and a half years ago, called “Remnants of a Friendship.” I told the story of my friendship with “Marie” and how I needed to dispose of boxes of cards and mementos I collected that represented cherished memories…the remnants of what once was, and all that remained, of a close relationship. It was hard to reread the cards and make the decision to let a lot of these things go, but I did purge my “treasures” as I blogged, and shared my recollections about many items in the three boxes.

I think my blogs touched many of my friends because they have big and compassionate hearts. They have managed to use email and regular mail, to replace my old boxes with a new box, filled with new treasures. I don’t think any of them even live in the same state: New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Illinois, Minnesota, Oregon and California. They all sent cards of friendship with special notes of love and appreciation in them, and some even included little “gifts” and tokens of affection, for me to put in my new memory box. I really don’t know how to thank them for such a thoughtful, priceless gift or express how it made me feel today.

I’m not trying to be modest when I say that I don’t consider my friendship anything extraordinary. For me this is what friends do. We help each other, support and encourage each other, laugh together and cry together and get through whatever life throws our way. So I am just being me, doing what I do. I love my friends and when you care about people, to a certain extent and to the best of your ability, you do what you can to make a difference in their lives. All of my friends have done as much, or more, for me as I have for them. They are all different and all very special people. They all deserve cards of appreciation and love from everyone they know, not just me.

Today some of my friends have helped me to heal a little bit more. They have helped shrink some of the old scars that were left by the hurt of a broken friendship. They were there for me, for the past three and a half years, filling the void, even if they didn’t know it. And I want to thank them all from the bottom of my heart. Tina, I know you were the one to conceive this idea, find this beautiful box and collect all these items from everyone to send to me. Thank you.  Cathy, Carmen and Angela, thank you for your cards and notes, your kind words will not only hold a special place in my new box, but in my heart. Sharon, when I saw a horse on the card, I knew it was from you. I love the keepsakes! We do share a love of wine and will be hanging that little plaque in my new kitchen one day soon. As for the dream catcher, I could use all the help I can get in the sleep department and will keep it beside my bed. Kelly, you made me laugh with the Betty Boop magnet! It will be the first thing up on my new refrigerator and I’ll smile every time see it. Sandy thank you for your thoughtful words and the gold heart charm. It’s beautiful and it triggered another memory  had forgotten till now. I don’t know if I had mentioned it or not, but I have to tell you that Marie had given me half of a “best friend” charm that I wore every day on the chain with my cross. It was a birthday present. I took it off my chain a long time ago because it no longer applied. But ever since then, every time I feel for my cross, to make sure it’s there or to say a prayer for someone, I remember that charm is missing. Now I am going to put your charm on my necklace. So now, even that has been replaced. Thank you.

I just want to add that every day all of you make a difference in my life, whether you are there for me or I am there for you. Today you have given me a precious gift, in words and thoughtfulness, that I will never forget. But, even more precious than all these things, is your gift of friendship that is everlasting. This feels like a sequel to the story of my friendship with Marie, only this one has a happy ending. Thank you all. xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment