Friday, March 23, 2012

Etch A Sketch Politics?



I almost couldn’t believe my eyes when I read this online this morning. In fact let me go back and look again in case I am not fully awake. Nope, I read correctly. Specifically, what Santorum said was that if he isn’t picked as the Republican nominee, then republicans should give Obama another term in office. I have to say, his thinking sounds good to me. I haven’t heard anything I like so far from anyone who is attempting to run against Obama in the election come November…until now. Santorum is making sense to me.

I’m sure Santorum isn’t making fellow republicans very happy these days, but he got my attention. What is Santorum’s argument against Romney and for Obama? Well, for starters, he says that Romney isn’t conservative enough. He is just slightly different than Obama and that’s not good enough. Then he calls Romney an “Etch A Sketch” candidate which he got from Romney’s own advisor, Eric Fehrnstrom, who feels the fall campaign is  "It's almost like an Etch A Sketch," he said on CNN. "You can kind of shake it up and we start all over again." This didn’t go over well. “The remark reignited criticism of Romney as the type of politician who will say or do anything to win.”

Of course, Romney and many others, were not pleased with Santorum’s comment. Republicans, as a whole, I think would rather have any republican in office, than Obama. For instance, Newt Gingrich tweeted: "Rick Santorum is dead wrong. Any GOP nominee will be better than Obama." And Santorum didn’t just stop with that comment. He attacked Romney as someone who is not real and just says what people want to hear. I find this refreshingly honest. Maybe I will go back and listen to some of the other things Santorum has had to say?

Now if Romney is in the lead and winning because of certain things he has been saying, but in the fall plans to shake things up and start over, do we really know what his platform will be? What I find curious is that republicans, in general, do not like Obama’s health care plan, which was modeled on Romney’s plan, so why on earth would they support Romney? 

I find politics very confusing. However, I do understand how an Etch A Sketch works. You turn the two dials and the picture never turns out the way you imagine it. You have almost no control as you what will appear on the screen, try as you might. It’s usually a huge mess and yes you do have to start over all the time, by shaking it up. Is this what Romney’s adviser wants us to vote for? Will it be called “Etch A Sketch Romonomics?” I don’t know, I really just don’t know. What if Santorum is right? If Romney is the republican pick, maybe republicans should start supporting Obama. I second that motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment