Sunday, March 11, 2012

What’s Going On In My Life?



We aren’t just going to change the clocks today, in my house. We are going to be going through a lot of changes in the next few months. Let’s see, if I can remember all the things that are going on with me and my family. Some things keep me up at night, some things will be over soon, others I can’t even mention. But here is a sneak peek into my world…when I am not blogging.

I am still mothering two 20 something daughters. They still like home cooked meals for dinner, breakfast in the morning and lunches to go. They like to be taken care of when they are sick and advice when they ask for it (unfortunately for them, they get a lot more advice than they want). My older daughter is busy looking for another job. Sometimes I’ll do a job search during the day and send her some ads that look good. My younger daughter will graduate college in two months! She has worked so hard, weekdays, weekends and summers, and I can’t wait for it to be over for her. Hopefully, she won’t have a problem getting a job in her field, of clinical laboratory scientist, and at a hospital where she likes the staff.

My husband has been taking graduate classes in history the past few years and he will be graduating with his M.A. in a couple of months too. He will also be taking an early retirement June 1st. Then he may take some time off before starting to work elsewhere. He has been working very hard for a lot of years because the Board of Educations fails to hire the number of people they need to do all the work that has to be done. He goes in early and stays late, just to try to get more done, without any added compensation. He really could use a much needed and overdue break.

We are hoping to sell the family home this year. It’s the home we have raised our girls in. I’m not sure what kind of home to buy next. I just want to downsize everything and live in a quieter part of the neighborhood. I am looking forward to that, but not to all the throwing out and packing of our possessions. It seems so overwhelming to me. Some days I wish I could win the lottery and just walk away from this house and start over, from scratch, elsewhere. I think the whole thought of this process is what keeps me awake sometimes, in addition to all the changes we are all going through. There will be a lot of transitioning for everyone and adjustments to make.

I dream of the day when the girls both have jobs they are happy with and my husband and I can enjoy the “golden years” settled in a new home. I would just love to take classes at college and do a little traveling. Maybe I can do more with my writing. I have been writing quite a bit and really enjoy it. I think I might try a writing class and see where it takes me. You never know what wonderful things can happen when you follow your passions in life. Opportunities and experiences present themselves that you would have never anticipated. That is what I have learned the past year and a half or so. That is what I am going to keep focusing on in the future.

So when I’m not busy complaining or venting in a blog, that’s what I am doing instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment