Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How To Cope With Life’s Frustrations…



Life is always throwing us curve balls. Problem come up on a daily basis. I didn’t notice this so much when I was younger, but now I almost feel like if I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all. Tomorrow marks the 10th day with no dial tone or DSL service and I will have to make yet another call to dear old Verizon. I feel like cancelling all my business with them. Yet I am calm, rational and reasonable…why…online games.

Online games are addicting. The reason we can’t stop playing them is because they are a huge distraction from our daily lives. If I am trying to score points, I have to concentrate on what I am doing and that leaves no room to sweat the big stuff. Total distraction and peace of mind for however long you are playing. It’s cheaper than therapy and healthier than high blood pressure. It’s like taking a mini vacation in your mind for however long it takes for you to put your problems into perspective.

I can’t play Farmville on Facebook. It requires too much dedication to grow your crops, build things, and feed your animals. If you can’t get to it every day your farm suffers. You need people with farms to send you things. I cannot make that kind of commitment. But I play games where you can use your skill and luck to earn points. You need to focus on what you are doing so much so that it takes over my mind. The games are great because some take less time than others and I can pick out what I want to play according to my free time or stress level. It works and because it does it becomes addicting or at the very least habit forming.

So if you see a friend racking up a ton of points one day or creating an empire out of their farm it may be a clue that they are going through a stressful time or they have way too much time on their hands!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment