Monday, June 25, 2012

Our 29th Anniversary Today…



It’s hard to believe that twenty-nine years have flown by since we said our “I do‘s” at the altar of St. Matthias. We were in our late twenties with our whole married life ahead of us. Back then, twenty nine years seemed like an eternity. But, where has the time gone? I feel like I blinked and I went from being a working newly wed to a retired mom of two grown women. It’s just not right. Time shouldn’t be allowed to move so fast.

I remember our honeymoon in Hawaii. The first drink I had there was huge and I could barely walk back to the hotel room. Every meal was served with pineapple. I love pineapple. I loved seating on the balcony of the hotel room watching the orange red sun set over the horizon. Those were two glorious weeks. We promised each other to go back on our 25th anniversary, but it never happened.

After the honeymoon we got busy working and saving. I knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom so we needed a nice little nest egg. Three years later we decided to start our family and after one heartbreaking miscarriage we went on to have a beautiful baby girl. Three years later that we had another beautiful baby girl. Our little family was complete.

And here we are: twenty nine family vacations later; twenty-nine Christmases later, hundreds of fingerprints, first days of school, birthday cupcakes, sniffling noses, Easter eggs, tiny tears, happy smiles, book reports, wrapped presents, hugs and kisses later. Where did the time go? I’m not ready for this stage of life. I’m still stuck in child rearing mode. My husband isn’t ready either. After working at the same place for over 30 years and hating it, he retired only to be anxious to get back to work. The thing is, he can go back to work. There will always be a job for him. I can’t go back to child rearing. My children are grown. The less they hear from me the better. They want to make they own choices and decisions. They want to be with and confide in friends. My services have been outsourced. I’m not in such big demand any more. I guess I am having a premature “empty-nest” moment. I should just be grateful that I am still in the nest!

What I do know is that I didn’t take any of that time or my family for granted. We made the most of the time, making memories and loving each other. I have no regrets to speak of. I have been blessed more than I can ever say. And, on top of all that, I have so much more to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment