Wednesday, July 4, 2012

RIP Andy Griffith…

Another piece of my childhood gone.

Andy Griffith died yesterday. He was 86 and had a long, good and fulfilling life. I imagine he loved acting, he was always so good at it. Something about him was so charismatic. I loved him as the sheriff of Mayberry and as Matlock. I watched those shows religiously. I grew up watching Andy and whistling the ever popular theme song. I loved the way he would wolf down those hotdogs in Matlock at the end of many episodes, saying, “Hmmmmmm hmmmmm.” 

I loved the way he told stories, he had you hanging on his every word. And he had grin from ear to ear that would make you forget your problems and smile with him and at him. A man of many talents, he played the guitar and sang, and incorporated his love for music into his characters. I never knew it, but Andy had a degree in music and was a high school English teacher, before going into acting. He has touched the hearts of generations of fans over his lifetime.

I’m not surprised that Andy didn’t get caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle. He lived his life in North Carolina, with his wife. She issued a statement following his death:  “He is the love of my life, my constant companion, my partner, and my best friend. I cannot imagine life without Andy, but I take comfort and strength in God’s Grace and in the knowledge that Andy is at peace and with God.”

Andy made a lot of people happy. May he rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment