Saturday, May 21, 2011

American Idol’s Finale Is Next Week!



I watched all of season ten and now it’s almost over. We are down to the finale, the final two singers, Scotty McCreery and Lauren Alaina. Both surprisingly country singers and both very talented. Gone are the two considered the “favorites” in the beginning, Pia Toscano and James Durbin. I think a lot of people were expecting them to make it to the end. Pia got eliminated too early in the competition. That was upsetting. James made it until last week and left in the fourth position. Even that was shocking. James always had an original way of making all the songs his own and he had natural talent. But, you never know how the votes will go.

Haley was up there with two country singers this week. The final three got 95 million votes. When I heard that number I immediately thought “Uh oh, that means anything could happen tonight. Even with two country singers having to split the country vote, and the judges very high praise of her performances, Haley was eliminated. That was a surprising moment too.

Season 10 had so many talented singers, it was hard to predict who would make it till the end. Only one person can win it all. I braced myself early on for the many disappointments to come. And come they did. The biggest one was the elimination of Pia. I wish she had performed some contemporary songs, maybe that would have changed the outcome. But, I’m not worried about Pia. I think she is already working on her future plans in the music business. She keeps flying out to LA to perform or have meetings. I am sure she has a contract in the works. I think James will be snatched up too. He can sing any song and has never disappointed. Haley and Casey have their own distinct styles. They had a lot of fans. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear they had been signed up by a record company any day.

That leaves Scotty and Lauren! I am not disappointed. This may be the first real “fair” fight at the end. Two country singers battling it out for the title of American Idol. It’s a fair fight. Same genre, same fan base, so who will win it all? Country fans are very loyal and supportive. They buy cds. They go to concerts. They love their artists. Scotty and Lauren are both headed to Nashville when all is said and done. Scotty has a voice that can match the best of male country legends, like Johnny Cash. Lauren is only 16. She has not even begun to reach her full potential. She is 5 years younger than Carrie was when she won Idol. Carrie grew tremendously once she was on her own. I expect that Lauren will too. Who ever wins next week, they are both winners in my book.

Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment