Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Friday the 13th



I never worry about Friday the 13th. I don’t seem to have any bad luck on those days (knocking on wood), but a couple of times something very good happened. Once, many years ago when I was a huge fan of “Bewitched,” I sent away for an autographed picture of Elizabeth Montgomery. You guessed it, it arrived on a Friday the 13th, long after I lost all hope of ever getting one. I was ecstatic about it and never forgot it. After that I considered Friday the 13th my lucky day.

Many years later, in my mid twenties, I was planning to go out to a local bar and restaurant one Friday night, by myself. It was also a Friday the 13th and I thought I might meet someone. Luck was on my side. However, at it got later, maybe closer to nine, I started to talk myself out of going. It’s no fun to go out alone. As I was about to call it a night and change into my pajamas, my brother offered to go with me. I guess he felt bad I was wasting my lucky night. So I drove us over, we went in, but we didn’t stick together. He wandered on his own and I parked myself at the bar. That was the night I met the man who would become my husband three years later. My brother left after he saw I was ok and having a conversation. At the end of the night, this nice quiet guy asked for my number, and the rest is history.

But, this morning it got me to thinking, why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky.
I found all kinds of theories, folklore, reasons, associations. Too many to count, too many to write about. The number 13 is considered unlucky and Friday is considered an unlucky day, put them both together and we are doomed.

I think it has to do more with what a person believes. If you think it’s an unlucky day, then you will probably subconsciously create “bad” luck for yourself or perceive things that happen as being unlucky. Let’s face it, if you are looking for or expecting bad things they will happen. I look at it as a “good luck” day and I never worry about what will happen.

Then I try to get on the blog today and guess what? The Blog is down! Now is it a coincidence or does Friday the 13th have something to do with it? Two of my previous blogs are still missing. I guess I’ll wait and see what the rest of the day brings before rushing to judgment

No comments:

Post a Comment