Wednesday, November 23, 2011

“Relatively Speaking“…Part 2

Doreen doesn't want to hear Carla's about funeral arrangements


I am up bright and early to write this blog because I have a lot to do today in preparation for tomorrow and I know everyone is dying to know about my trip to see Marlo Thomas! It was a miserable rainy night and my husband and I were soaked by the time we got to the theater, thank God it wasn’t cold.  My tickets were waiting for me, as promised.  Orchestra seats!  Can you believe it!  And the theater looked sold out from where I was sitting.  

There were three, one act plays.  The first one, “Talking Cure, lasted about 23 minutes.  It was about a doctor, played by Jason Kravits from “House,” talking to a mental patient who used to be employed by the Post Office.  The third play, “Honeymoon Hotel,’ lasted about an hour and was full of well known actors.  The story was about a woman named Nina who left her husband at the altar and ran off with his father, Jerry, to a sleezy motel.  While they are at the motel, several people from the wedding party arrive, one by one, to give them a piece of their minds.  Steven Guttenberg played the father, smitten with his “daughter in-law.”  Julie Kavner played Nina’s mother.  Jason Kravits was the psychiatrist treating the father.  Grant Shaud, from “Murphy Brown” played a friend of Jerry.  

Now for the second play, “George Is Dead” with Marlo Thomas. Marlo/Doreen has just found out that her husband, George, died on the ski slopes of Aspen.  She was raised by a nanny and is spoiled and rich and has no clue what to do or where to turn, so she ends up at the front door of her nanny’s daughter.  Doreen is almost childlike and has no idea how to handle death or grief, as she has been bad protected from most things all her life.  Her friend, Carla, doesn’t really like Doreen, but she feels bad for her that George died and she has no one to turn to.  Doreen gets on Carla’s nerves quite a bit, especially when she asks her to scrape the salt off some crackers.  Carla tells her it is her responsibility to bring the body back home and make funeral arrangements. Doreen just plugs up her ears and will not listen.  While Doreen watches all the old shows on a tiny television set, Carla spends the night taking care of all the arrangements for her.  There is really a lot more to the play than I can explain here.  Suffice to say that Marlo did a fantastic job as Doreen.  Of course I am biased, as I have always been a huge fan of hers.  But I can say, if you are a fan you will love her in this play!

After the show I went to the backstage door, and tried to see Marlo.  I was told she would see me if she was available.  Unfortunately, she was already gone by the time I got there.  It’s understandable.  The last play was an hour long, plus the intermission of 15 minutes.  The weather was miserable.  I think she has two shows to do today plus go on the Today Show this morning, raising money for St. Jude.  I almost expected her not to be there. It's been a very busy week for her. Besides that, at the end of the play, when they were taking their bows, she looked like she had had a long enough day.  Was I disappointed?  Sure.  It’s not every day you have the chance to meet a role model, someone you idolized and looked up to as a teenager.  But, I understood.  And just to prove to you I half expected this to happen, I had spent part of yesterday typing up a letter to Marlo, telling her how much she meant to me.  I had it with me in an envelope and left it with the backstage attendant for him to pass along to her today.  I hope she gets it and reads it.  Maybe one day I will get to meet her, you just never know.  Until then, she will always be part of my fondest childhood memories.

P.S. By the way, I just checked my mail and Marlo's assistant had written an apology, on behalf of Marlo, for not being there last night.  She has a cold and had to leave early.  She has offered to send me an autographed copy of her book, "Growing Up Laughing" which I was going to ask for for Christmas!  Now I will get my own autographed copy!  Can you believe that?  I love you, Marlo!  

Happy Thanksgiving Marlo and Phil!

OMG!  I just got off the telephone with Marlo Thomas and this is the gist of the conversation!  As if I didn't already think she is one of the most amazing people on earth!

She said Hello is this Nina? I said yes. She said this is Marlo Thomas. I was like OMG I can't believe this, she laughs. She said she felt really bad about not staying last night, but she had a cold and had to get up at 5am to do the Today Show. But she wanted to apologize because I was contest winner and she wanted to meet me. Then I was able to tell her that I understood and what a role model she has been for me all these years and I added that I memorized the poem she told a magazine that her father would tell her and have recited it over the last 40 years. And she said "Can't?" and I said yes and began reciting a few lines. She was so happy and said it was a great tribute to her father that I have been reciting that poem every time something in life was hard. Then she had to go take a nap so she would be ready for her matinee!  

Here is the poem, hope I get it right:

Can't is a word that is foe to ambition
An enemy ambushed to shatter your will
It's aim is forever a man with a mission
And bows but to courage and patience and skill
So hate it with hate that is deep and undying
For once it is welcomed twill break and man
And whatever the goal you are seeking, keep trying
And answer this demon by saying, "I can!"



No comments:

Post a Comment