Sunday, January 9, 2011

Another Senseless American Tragedy…



Warning: I plan to discuss Sarah Palin, so if that offends you please skip today’s blog. Thank you.


I am very angry about the senseless shooting that occurred yesterday in Tucson, Arizona. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head and 18 people were shot, six of those killed by a 22 year old, “troubled” young man. I never heard of Congresswoman Giffords before yesterday’s shooting and as I read about it and watched a video she was on in March of last year, I saw a young, intelligent, well spoken, dedicated public servant who, in my opinion, came across as so impressive as to have real potential to become President of this country one day. Instead, she lays in a hospital in critical condition, from a bullet that went through her head.

As I searched to learn more about Congresswoman Giffords, I saw a few things that more than disturbed me. Her poor father was asked if she had any enemies, to which he tearfully replied “the whole tea party.” I also learned that after she signed the health reform bill, the door to her office had been shattered, possibly by people who were against it. And then, I came across a map of the United States from Sarah Palin’s website, that had been up a long while. Across the map several democrats were “targeted” with circles and inside those circles were two shotguns criss-crossed to form an “X.” Right after the shooting occurred, Sarah Palin removed her map. Do I think she meant for Ms. Giffords to be shot and killed? No. Do I think her hateful rhetoric is totally irresponsible and that she “may” be unintentionally inciting people to commit acts of violence? Yes I do.

I recall during the last Presidential election, that she made many “hateful” remarks on the campaign trail. So much so, that President Obama’s life was threatened in public and John McCain had to address and condemn those kind of remarks. And even the US Secret Service blamed her rhetoric for the increase in death threats against Obama during the 2008 election.

I know we do not have all the facts concerning this shooting as yet. We do not know if the shooter was influenced by Palin at all or was just acting out of his own mental issues. The fact remains that this type of hateful talk can very easily create or lead to more tragedies of this nature. Sarah Palin was told that her “map” was being interpreted and construed as militant, but she would not remove it…until yesterday’s tragedy.

After the election she said we need to work together for the good of the country, but she has her own personal agenda. I do hope they get to the bottom of what motivated the killer that day, whether or not it had anything to do with politics. This event should serve as a warning of what can happen when politics is taken to an extreme, when influential and powerful people use hateful rhetoric, and when disturbed individuals interpret those hateful words in a mindset that is not reality based.

Now that I’ve vented my anger I will focus on prayers for all the victims and their families and hope that something good can somehow come out of this senseless tragedy.


For your information links for:
US Blames Palin for Obama Death Threats:
Gifford's video from one year ago
Sarah Pali's "target" map


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/sarah-palins-pac-puts-gun_n_511433.html


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/36033690#36033690

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/sarah-palin/3405336/Sarah-Palin-blamed-by-the-US-Secret-Service-for-death-threats-against-Barack-Obama.html

2 comments:

  1. What a sad thing to happen. My prayers go out to the victims and their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Palin. *shiver*

    Is it just me, or does she have the most annoying accent ever?

    ReplyDelete