Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cryptic Messages...



I have always been a believer in clear communication. I strive to be clear so there are no misunderstandings in getting my point across. If I have something to say to someone and I sense they aren’t getting my complete meaning, I will try to reword the parts I think they missed. This applies when I am speaking verbally or writing messages. I have discovered that because the internet provides more opportunities for written communication, some people have taken to address their issues with other people in cryptic messages.

Cryptic messages are disguised or veiled messages in which you don’t come out and say what you have to say, but instead make it difficult for someone reading it to understand. They don’t name names so you have to be a mind reader to not only decipher the message, but also who they are talking about. It’s mysterious and secretive and only an inner circle of people might pick up on it.

In my opinion, this is a form of passive aggressive behavior. It is also cowardly. If you have something to say to someone just come out and say it. Have a decent conversation and reach an understanding. Don’t use the internet to send cleverly disguised jabs at people. What does that say about you?

I know I am getting a fast lesson in this type of behavior and I don’t like it. I think it’s better to be open or say nothing at all. Instead these people throw a post or message out there, which are disguised insults, and expect the right people to pick up on it. Yet you cannot reply or defend yourself because you are not specifically mentioned, nor can you ask questions or try to understand what is being said.

Cryptic messages are a form of aggression, end of story. It’s a cat and mouse game. They are mind games. And they are played by people who should know better.

What have I decided to do about these messages? I am going to ignore them. They aren’t worthy of my time and consideration. If the person cannot bring themselves to be open and honest with me about what is troubling them, then I certainly am not going to waste my energy on them.

Watch out for cryptic messages. If they are coming from “friends” re-evaluate your relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment