Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year 2011!



My dog was so excited about starting the New Year off on the right paw that he woke us up at 5:45 am so he could take his first walk of the year. It would be an understatement to say I was not a happy camper. So, after a few minutes of praying that he would stop barking, I got up and had breakfast. Before I get started, I always turn on the radio and listen to the news. This is what I heard in a nutshell: “Happy New Year! The first set of baby boomers turns 65 this year and many will not be able to retire because they are in debt and their 401K plans and homes have decreased in value because of the economy.” Great news for those born in 1946! I happen to be a baby boomer, but I have nine years to go before retirement. Who knows if things will be better or worse by then?

I had hoped to start the New Year off on a good note and it’s only 8 am so I have plenty of time to try to make that happen. No I can’t wait for it to happen on it’s own, that’s too risky. The problem is what am I going to do to create that good note? I have always found New Year’s Eve/Day depressing. It’s a big let down after Christmas and Thanksgiving. I always look forward to those holidays and so much time and preparation goes into making them special. Then, in a blink of an eye, Christmas is over and we are headed for a New Year. Maybe it’s the fear of the unknown? What is going to happen this year? Will it be better or even worse than last year? There is always something about starting a new year that I dread, but I can’t put my finger on it. It’s almost like getting left back; we have to repeat every year, doing the same things, until we pass or get it right.

So, what can I do today to set the right tone for the rest of the year? First, I need to let go of some old baggage. Everyone has relationship issues with someone in their lives. For me it was with a person I considered my best friend for ten years; she moved on to a new friend and forget to take me with her or even tell me about it. I have to stop dwelling on that as hard as it is. Then, I need to set some goals for myself, which I have started to do by getting on this promising new diet and exercise program and sticking with it. While I’m doing that, I need to think about some of the things I am passionate about and find ways to incorporate those things into my life. I was taking French classes at a local college for a few years, but stopped a couple of years ago because I felt my family needed my attention. Maybe it’s time to reconsider that decision and brush up on my French again. Another thing I have realized this year is how many women are putting their needs aside for the sake of their families. I want to try and encourage and support them into setting goals for themselves and following through with them. We really can do anything we set our minds to do and when we are doing things for ourselves and feeling better about who we are, then we will fill all our other roles in life that much better.

This could be a Happy New Year; a time for real change and results! Maybe next year, instead of being glad the old year is over, we can look back on all we have accomplished and be proud of ourselves. Happy New Year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment