Thursday, February 3, 2011

Moms’ Words Of Wisdom And Other “Nagging” Advice…


Mothers around the world all have one huge thing in common…children. This is enough to change a woman’s brain into a mother’s brain and suddenly, upon giving birth, a whole set of new information on child rearing is downloaded into our heads. It has to be or how else can you explain the universal speech of mother’s throughout the world? Here are a few things “we” have been documented as saying, but there are literally hundreds if not thousands of Momisms:

- “Always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident.” I’m sure that EMT’s are trained to check underwear before checking vital signs in all accidents.

- “You’re the oldest, you should know better” and “You’ll always be my baby” This couple of phrases sends mixed messages.

- “You can’t find it?” which is followed by one of the following: “if you put things where they belonged you wouldn’t have this problem,” “where did you last leave it?,” or “I can’t find it for you, I’m not the maid!”

- And on “life” they say: “Who said life was going to be easy?” “Life is not fair” “I brought you into this world and I can take you out.”

- On food: “Think of the starving children in…” “You just ate an hour ago.” “You can’t start the day on an empty stomach.” “Chew with your mouth closed”

- “I’m not…your maid, your taxi service”

- The “If yous” If you don’t finish dinner, no dessert.” “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” “If you don’t stop crying I’ll give you something to cry about.” “If I told you once, I told you a thousand times.” “If I want your opinion, I’ll ask for it!” “If I catch you doing that one more time I’ll…” “If God wanted you to have holes in your ears (tongue, eyebrows..) He would have put them there!”

- The “don’ts”: “Don’t make me get up.” “Don’t run in the house.” “Don’t sit too close to the television, you’ll go blind.” “Don’t go out with a wet head, you catch a cold.” “Don’t stay up late.” “Don’t run with a lollipop in your mouth.” “Don’t use that tone with me.” “Don’t EVER let me catch you doing that again!”

- And the reminders: “Did you brush your teeth?” “Did you wash your hands?” “Did you finish your homework?” “Did you comb your hair?” “Did you make your bed?” “Did you remember to flush the toilet?”

Yes we could write volumes on what mothers all over the world have to say to their children on a daily basis. There was a woman on Dr. Phil who actually made up a song about this very thing and all moms can relate to it. If you haven’t heard it you really should give a listen…it’s pretty amazing! (link below!!!)

Mothers are amazing!!!
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6EkAvV4-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment