Sunday, December 11, 2011

Recipe For Italian Rainbow Cake...



When I got married I wanted to start some of our own traditions that my children could grow up with.  One of those traditions was making an Italian Rainbow Cookie Cake.  I always loved the Italian rainbow cookies from the pastry store and so did everyone else in my family, so it was a good choice for a special dessert.  

The cake has to be made in several steps and it does take a while, but you can do other things in between.  I always spent the day baking and cooking other things for Christmas dinner.  The rich chocolate icing keeps the cake fresh and moist, so I was able to make it two days in advance.  I didn’t like spending all of Christmas Eve in the kitchen unless I was baking with my girls. This has many easy steps that they could help me with. I loved to stretch Christmas out and make to most of it for them.  Unlike some mothers who dreaded vacations from school, I always loved it when my kids were home with me.  I still do.

If you like to bake and love a delicious cake, then you really should try this recipe.  

Recipe Ingredients:

1 package of pound cake mix
2 eggs, liquid as package directs
Yellow, red and green food coloring

½ cup seedless raspberry jelly or jam
¼ cup kahlua or crème de cocoa liquor
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
¼ cup water
1 package (6 ounces) semi-sweet morsels (Nestles)

Chopped pistachio nuts (optional)

Steps:

1. Prepare pound cake mix as directed by package with eggs and liquid.

2. Measure one cupful of batter in a small bowl and add a few drops of yellow food coloring; Repeat with remaining batter, tinting a second cup with green food coloring and the remainder with red food coloring.  Pour into three separate greased and floured pans 8 inch square or round.

3. Bake layers in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 15 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, loosen edges with sharp knife and turn out on to wire racks to cool completely.

4. Combine raspberry jelly and kahlua in a sauce pan, heating slowly until jelly melts.

5. To make cake: Place the green layer on a cookie sheet and spoon the raspberry syrup over the cake.  Top with the yellow layer and spoon raspberry syrup over it. Repeat for pink, top layer.  Brush the sides of the cake with remaining syrup.

6. Combine butter/margarine, corn syrup and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate morsels until melted.  Beat the mixture for about 3 minutes or until stiff enough to spread on cake.

7. Frost cake with chocolate and sprinkles with pistachio nuts or decorate as desired.

Maybe you’ll want to add this cake to your current holiday desserts.  If you do let me know what you and your guests think!  I doubt anyone will be disappointed.

Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. I found your recipe while searching for Italian rainbow cake. We used to live in the Cleveland, OH area, and a bakery there sold this cake. They made it in loaf pans, and they split each layer lengthwise. The cake was 6 thin layers tall, and one could get it with either apricot or raspberry filling between the layers. Also, it could be purchased with chocolate on top or completely frosted in whipped cream and sprinkled with slivered almonds. It sliced beautifully because of the loaf shape. We sometimes bought it for birthdays. Thanks for posting the recipe because we've missed that cake since we moved. I may make it for New Years as a special treat when our sons and their families visit.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If I make it with 6 layers, I'll double the recipe and use 2 pound cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen please let me know how it turns out. I takes some work, but if I can do it anyone can. I am more than happy to share it. The chocolate is delicious and compliments the jelly filling, and you can sprinkle it with the almonds. I think you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete