Saturday, October 2, 2010

Noisy Neighbors!

This is the first day in a long while where I can actually open the windows and let in some fresh air.  No heat, no humidity, no rain, just a beautiful day.  But can I really open my windows?  Sure, I can open them if I want to be driven crazy by my noisy neighbors across the street!

Don't get me wrong, I live in New York City, so I am used to noise.  I can even tune it out.  Sirens, car alarms, sanition trucks, motor cycles reving their engines as they pass by, you name we have it.  But, we also have inconsiderate, ill-mannered, thoughtless, noisy neighbors.  Neighbors who literally live on the sidewalk.  They take their chairs out first thing in the morning, before 8 am, and don't pack it in until 9 or 10 pm on a good day.  All day long they are shouting at each other or into their cell phones, yelling at their kids to come back, or fighting with their "significant others." 

They have birthday parties and barbeques right there in front of their door.  On those days, larger crowds congregate and spend the entire day eating and drinking to their hearts content...and yes it's an all day thing from 9am to 11 pm.

For entertainment they get in their cars and turn up the volume on their stereos.  But these are not ordinary car stereo systems!  These have been amplified with speakers as big as the back seat of your car so that when they turn them on my windows actually vibrate!  And what are my windows vibrating to?  Not to Carrie Underwood, noooooooooooo!  It's rap music and reggae at a volume that is testing the limits of the sound barrier.  They don't care what time it is, day or night; or what other people might be doing, like trying to get some sleep, read, watch tv; they just blast their music whenever they please.  Yes, we can and have called the police.  They eventually show up and tell them to lower it, but as soon as they leave the volume is cranked up again. 

I don't want to have to wait for freezing temperatures to open my windows and let in fresh air and, I shouldn't have to!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorrene!

    I thought of doing just that, but I am afraid they will take it to another level. It may be hard to imagine, but I am afraid they will retailiate by doing damage to my property or cars. It might escalate things and make it even more unbearable. We are thinking of moving in a couple of years, so that thought is what keeps me going. I would love some peace and quiet!

    ReplyDelete