Tuesday, October 26, 2010

People With No Phone Etiquette!

I really don’t like talking to people who have absolutely no clue about phone etiquette. I mean this is really just about using simple common sense, or being polite, or considerate. And yet, they can’t manage to do any of those. I have a list of things that tick me off, so here goes.

First of all, if you say you are going to call me back, then call me back. Don’t just leave me hanging time and time again waiting for your call. I can understand something coming up now and then that might make it difficult to call, but not all the time.

Second, when you are talking to me on the phone, please do not carry on text conversations with other people at the same time. It’s obvious you are missing half of what I am saying because you keep asking me to repeat it. And, please do not ask me if I can hear you texting, as though if I don’t hear you pressing your little keys I should be okay with your ignoring what I am saying so you can focus on your messages. It’s very frustrating on my end. If you want to text, then end our conversation and go text.

Third, when we are engaged in a conversation and another call comes in, please do not tell me to hold on a minute and then spend 20 or 30 minutes talking to the other person before coming back to me. Common sense should tell you to tell the other person you will call them back because you are already on the phone with another call.

Fourth, when we are talking on the phone, I would appreciate it if you weren’t also talking to other people in the room. I don’t mean answering a question someone might have, asking someone to do something, or any other quick exchange. No, I am talking about having a conversation with me on the phone and another simultaneous conversation with person who is in your presence.

Fifth, I would really appreciate it if you could be less engaged in what is on television or shut it off and give me your undivided attention. If the program you are watching is that important then go watch it. The last thing I need is to hear your interpretation of what you are watching, I have my own TV, thanks.

Sixth, if you have something important to say concerning some problem or misunderstanding we have had, please have the decency to call and NOT text about it. Texting, in my opinion, is for short, random, spontaneous, informal messages. Texting is not for solving personal issues. Texting is the coward’s way out. I will never have a serious conversation in text messages.

Of course there are other issues that pertain to phone etiquette, but these are at the top of my personal list of most annoying things a person can do. I have experienced all of the above and, as it happens, all with the same person!

No comments:

Post a Comment