Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advances In Technology Are Costing Me Money...

Once upon a time we had the VCR and VHS tapes to record and watch movies on. It was expensive to own one and repairs were costly, but we all had to have one. We stocked up on movies, especially all the Disney films for the girls, and as soon as we had a nice collection, technology moved forward to the DVD Player. That was fine, except it started to make the VCR obsolete. I don’t even know if you can find a VCR for your tapes any more. I noticed Blockbuster was only renting DVDs too.

So, we jumped on the bandwagon and got ourselves a DVD Player and a new collection of movies on DVDs. DVD Players have really come down in price compared to the VCRs. Old and new television series are now available for each season so you can have all you favorites on hand any time you want to watch them on your nice big HD television. Over the past few years the girls have been asking for their favorite shows as Christmas presents. They are easy to buy and buy we did.

Last year, while shopping for DVDs, I notice the words “Blue Ray.” So I got confused. What DVD am I supposed to buy? What is Blue Ray? I ignore it and try not to let progress get the best of me. I don’t want to have to start yet a third collection of movies and television shows on Blue Ray DVDs. But still, in the back of my head the words haunt me like the ghost of Christmas future. You can’t escape destiny or technology! I know it’s just a matter of time before the DVD Player as we know it, will become extinct and “Blue Ray” DVDs will take over.

No one tells us what we are supposed to do with all of the tapes and original DVDs. They cost a small fortune if you add them up. But, if we have nothing to play them on, what good will they be? The same thing happened with our old vinyl records, that were replaced by cassettes and now cds. There are very few companies that make record players today. It’s just a matter of time when they will be extinct too.

Even as I sit here typing this now, I know that in two years or maybe three, I will be trying to buy some Blue Ray DVDs and see the words “Infra Red DVDs” advertised right next to the new Infra Red DVD Players. We are at the mercy of technology. But, I still want to know what I am going to do with all my vinyl records, VHS tapes, DVDs, when the machines to play them on no longer exist? Are we supposed to replace them all with the current media available?

When I was a kid, we didn’t have these problems. Technology moved a lot slower and we were able to keep up with it. That’s one reason I consider them the “good old” days!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment