Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Presents…

What’s great about Christmas presents when your kids get older is that they are much smaller and easier to wrap. All they really want are cds, dvds, ipods, smart phones, and gift cards. Between both of my kids I could wrap it all up with a roll of paper and have some to spare. I’m saving money on paper, I’m saving time, I’m saving energy.

So what’s the problem? Well, after I wrap all the itty bitty gifts, it’s time to put them under my six or seven foot tree. There, they miraculously “disappear” as they are overshadowed by the tree and the large manger. It doesn’t look very Christmassy to see those tiny packages, and there is no element of surprise, since what you see is what you get. I remember the days of giant packages cascading from the tree and covering half the living room. Now that was Christmas! Paper flying everywhere and huge piles of toys and big smiles.

This year I suggested we put up a four foot tree to make life easier and to help the presents stand out. The girls are so busy and hardly home to enjoy all the work that goes into putting up a large tree and then taking it down. I think they agree with me too, so we’re going to have A Merry “Little” Christmas this year.
 
After all, everything and everyone is downsizing, why not us too? At least for now. Especially since the house is shrinking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment