Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Time For A New Diet?

New Year’s Day is around the corner and so are all the new diets and exercise programs along with millions of resolutions to get fit and lose weight. I found a brand new one thanks to Dr. Phil, called the 17 Day Diet, which promises a weight loss of 10 to 12 pounds in the first 17 days! Dr. Phil is going to be starting this diet with audience members in January and I am going to hop on board. I asked for the book and DVD for Christmas so I could get a head start and plan my menus. I am going to encourage my facebook friends to join me so that we can all support and encourage each other. Who knows, maybe together we will stick to our diets and actually lose weight?

I managed to skim through the book yesterday just to see what I was in for. I hate diets that make you measure everything you eat…no measuring here. I just want to be pointed in the right direction. Give me a list of foods that are ok and let me pick and choose what I want and how much. This diet seems to do that.
I noticed there were four 17 day cycles, all designed to help you lose weight and then maintain the loss.

Psychologically, thinking the diet is only 17 days, already helps to convince me I can stick with it. After the first 17 days a new cycle starts and the foods change to fool the body metabolism into losing more weight. I don’t know about you, but my body has been playing tricks on me for years now, it’s time I got even with it!

The exercise part also worried me. I do not want to wear myself out exercising. The first thing I read was that the exercise was also 17 minutes a day and is easy, like walking. I can still handle walking without hurting myself! So I will check out what else he has planned in that department and make sure I don’t have to call 911.

The fact that this diet was created by a medical doctor and has Dr. Phil’s endorsement gives me some real hope that it will work. If I lose the 10 to 12 pounds promised the first 17 days, I will already be halfway through my goal of losing about 20 pounds! Of course I’m skeptical about it, but they must think it’s going to work because instead of having the book for sale at all book stores, they have it available only on their website. I guess that means a lot of extra profits for the doctor with no middle men? Because after all, when you get Dr. Phil on board and he has you on the show to prove it works, you know that book would be flying off the shelves if it was in stores. So that also is an encouraging sign to me that there is something to this diet.

Read, shop, eat and start losing weight! That’s the plan for January 3rd 2011!
Who’s with me!!!

1 comment:

  1. The 17 Day Diet Review…

    This is a review of the 17 Day Diet that will be featured on the Dr. Phil show the second half of this season. I went through the book and tried to give you an idea what is in these 240 pages. Written by Dr. Mike Moreno. It targets both belly fat and visceral fat and produces fast results…10 to 12 pounds in just 17 days!

    There are three 17 day cycles which is followed by a weight stabilization cycle. You have to eat vegetables, fruit and lean meat and no unhealthy junk food. Keep portions small, cut fat, sugar and salt intake.

    The first cycle is rapid weight loss, the second cycle resets your metabolism, the third cycle establishes good eating habits, the last cycle keeps you at your goal weight and lets you enjoy your favorite foods on the weekend.

    There must be 17 minutes of exercise every day which can be as simple as walking. The exercise is also on the website www.17daydiet.com.

    What can you eat…Plenty of protein (chicken, fish, lean meat) which is harder to digest and burns more calories. Vegetables, any kind, provide energy, glowing skin, no fat storage. Fruits (avoid high sugar fruits) and only two servings of fruit a day (stick to berries, apples, oranges and grapefruit). Good Carbs (starting with fruits and vegetables in cycle 1 to natural high fiber carbs in cycle 3). Friendly fats (no trans fats) found in fish and vegetable oils. Eight 8 ounce glasses of water. At cycle 3 you can have one drink of alcohol a day, red wine suggested.

    Is seems like a common sense diet overall. But what I like about it is you concentrate on food groups. He gives you a daily menu with suggested items that you can choose from for each meal and no real measuring of food as he states for dinner “Liberal amounts of fish, turkey, chicken, lean meat” you can basically eat quite a bit of you stick to the right foods. He does this for all four cycles.

    ReplyDelete