Sunday, November 14, 2010

Days Off For Moms!

I woke up this morning and I felt like calling in sick or a vacation day. I need a day off like “working” people get. It’s not fair that I work more than a 40 hour week for no pay, no benefits, no days off!

I really do not want to do all the things I have to do today, but who else is going to do it? I get up and throw a load of wash in the machine before sitting down to breakfast. Go upstairs and take a shower. Back to the basement to put a load in the dryer and another load to wash. Back upstairs to get dressed and make the bed. Back downstairs to get my jacket and head out to the supermarket (which was worse than usual this week, see earlier blog) to do my week’s shopping. Come home and unpack the groceries and throw the other load of wash into the dryer. And this is all between 6:45 and 9:00 am.

There is still plenty for me to do today and I hope I don’t forget anything. I have to cook dinner, fold laundry, help my daughter study for a French test, serve dessert and coffee when my brother comes over in the afternoon…ok, that’s it, I am not going to think about it any longer. All you moms all know what I mean.

While everyone looks forward to the holidays and I am making lists. What do I need to buy for Thanksgiving dinner? What can I cook in advance so I don’t have to spend the whole day in the kitchen? How many desserts do I need, because everyone doesn’t like everything? And moms not only have to plan, shop and cook the meals, we have to clean up, if we want it done right! And we have to clean before the holiday. What fun! And just as we put the last plate back in the closet, we have to think about Christmas gift shopping and meal planning. Just thinking about it all makes me tired.

Even if we go away on vacation we are getting cheated of time off. We are never off duty, especially if we have small children. But who plans the vacation, books the flights and/or hotels? Packs the luggage for the whole family? Has to make lists not to forget anything important? Who unpacks it all at the hotel? Who does all the laundry before and after the trip? Is this really a vacation?

All I know is today I need a day off and I am not getting one. If only I could quit and let someone who is unemployed have my job…but I bet no one would take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment