Friday, November 5, 2010

Progress?!?

When I was a kid watching Saturday morning cartoons, the Jetsons was one of my favorite shows. I loved all their futuristic gadgets, robots, and flying cars. The best episode was the one where Jane has to see Dr McGravity because she injured her finger from pushing too many buttons on her appliances. Without the use of her finger she couldn’t get any of her housework done. We should all be so afflicted! So, my pet peeve today is why, with all the technological advances being made in every field, are we not seeing anything revolutionary to help with housework?

Surely, the ideas conceptualized on the Jetsons, are no longer an impossible reality? Even a halfway measure, between what we have and what they had, would be appreciated. Sure we have that little Roomba to vacuum the floor, but it’s no Rosie! What about treadmills for dogs so we don’t have to walk them? Astro never had to be walked! Phones with a video screen were predicted to be the up and coming invention by one company at the 1964 World’s Fair…so where are they? Computers do so many things these days, but Jane was able to program hers to provide dinner, I still can’t! How about moving sidewalks? I’m getting a little tired of walking everywhere. And, remember their shower? You just have to stand there and the gadgets wash you, dry you, dress you, brush your teeth and give you breakfast to go! I’m not going to even wish for a flying car, I can already predict that would cause more trouble than it’s worth.

I don’t know why we marvel at scientific progress when they can’t or won’t do anything to help housewives overcome their drudgery. I’d be happy with a Rosie and a computer that makes dinner for the family. That’s all I’m asking for, a little help. Technology has progressed in every other area, but has left housewives in the prehistoric ages.

We should be relating to Jane Jetson and her poor finger, but instead we are the Wilma Flinstones of the 21st Century!

No comments:

Post a Comment