Monday, June 27, 2011

Midnight In Paris…




For our anniversary, one of the thing my husband suggested was going to see “Midnight In Paris.” He knows I love French and France, maybe that was why he thought of it. He likes Woody Allen films, maybe that’s why he picked it. I heard Woody Allen, and in a instinctive reaction I made a face, the kind of face I imagine someone who just smelled a skunk might make. I never liked Woody Allen films and I dislike Woody Allen even more. The fact that he fell in love with and married his step daughter was enough for me to write him off forever. But, sometimes you have to make compromises and concessions and I owed my husband a movie, so we went.


This is a very cute little movie to my surprise. Owen Wilson stars in it, I don’t like Owen Wilson either. His large crooked nose is very distracting for one thing. It’s so hard to picture these beautiful women falling in love with him. Then there is his accent which is hard on my ears. So between him being both a visual and auditory discomfort, it’s hard to get through a movie with him in it.

Yet despite Woody Allen and Owen Wilson, this is a charming little movie. There are lots of scenes of Paris. Owen’s character is there with his future inlaws and fiancée. He is trying to write a novel. One night his fiancée decides to go out dancing with friends and he walks back to the hotel. He gets lost and at the stroke of midnight he gets picked up by an antique car and is driven to a little bar. He realizes something is amiss when he meets Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald. He meets others from the past too like Gertrude Stein, played by Kathy Bates. From that point on, he says he is taking a walk every night and goes to the place where a car invariably stops by to pick him up and takes him to meet other writers like Hemmingway. He goes back in time, but is still in Paris. I found the movie enchanting and soon it distracted me from Owen and I totally forgot Woody Allen had anything to do with it.

If you would like to see a nice little movie and love Paris, this may appeal to you. I would see it again too. I know I missed a lot of little nuances the first time around. I’ll probably forget half of it when it comes out in DVD. Anyway, my husband did good this time!






No comments:

Post a Comment