Monday, September 5, 2011

Bachmann's Praying The Gay Away...



I don’t know where I have been lately, but this item just came to my attention. Michelle Bachmann’s husband, Marcus, is anti-gay and isn’t politically correct about it either. I just read the following quote of his regarding if your teen comes to you and says they are gay:


“We have to understand: barbarians need to be educated. They need to be disciplined. And just because someone feels it or thinks it doesn’t mean that we’re supposed to go down that road. That’s what’s called a ‘sinful nature.’ And we have a responsibility as parents and as authority figures not to encourage such thoughts and feelings [from] moving into the action steps.”

Meanwhile, he also conducts antigay “therapy sessions to “cure” gay people and has collected $137,000 of federal money for these sessions. Seriously, the federal government is handing over money to his institution for some unconventional therapy to cure something that isn’t curable because it has been established that being gay is not a choice. All the while Michele Bachmann is busy saying the government is spending too much money.

John M. Becker, a gay man, went undercover to the Bachmann clinic to expose they “therapy” they are giving for state and federal funds. I will post the link below in case you are interested in reading his experience. Frankly, this story took me back to before homosexuality was openly discussed and people were operating from a position of denial and ignorance. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, Dr. Bachmann actually believes what he is preaching. Here is the premise from which the clinic operates: “There is no such thing as a homosexual, just heterosexuals with a homosexual problem.”

Back in the day when I was a psychology student and was trying to understand homosexuality, I recall a gay person saying, “why would anyone choose to be gay with all the societal stigma and prejudice that homosexuals are subjected to?” That made the most sense to me and convinced me that sexual orientation was not a choice, but established at birth. Just because we cannot find a biological connection, doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. This Bachmann “therapy” sounds more like brain washing and actually I would consider it harmful and mentally, emotionally & psychologically damaging to try to push someone away from their natural inclination.

I will have to read more about this, but I feel like I just took a trip in a time machine back to the dark ages!

Link: Becker Investigation





No comments:

Post a Comment