Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Pet Peeves!



Happy Birthday to my Blog! I started this blog one year ago today. I thought it was going to be a piece of cake to complaining 365 days a year. This will be my 360th blog, so I fell short a few of my commitment. I am not going to dwell on my shortage, but celebrate the fact I am still writing today! I do it admit it is easy most of the time. There are days I scratch my head thinking what can I write about today. But most times, what is going on in life or the world, makes it simple to come up with a topic to rant about. Sometimes I even wake up knowing what I am going to write about.


Today for instance, I woke up early, but I wasn’t scratching my head, I was scratching my ear. Some mosquito managed to get through the window and storm window and hide out in my bedroom till I was asleep. Then he attacked! He got my arms and hands in a couple of places and I can tolerate those bites, but my ear not so much. I could feel it was swollen to twice its size even before I got out of bed. I knew it was not going to look good. Sure enough, I look in the mirror bracing myself for the worst, and there is was. My right ear, swollen and red as a beet and sticking out, like Alfalpha’s from the Little Rascals. Nothing to be done about it either. I just have to wait until it goes away on it’s own.

I go to breakfast and my younger daughter comes downstairs for hers. She takes a look at me and asks, “What happened to your ear? It’s gross!” I tell her a mosquito bit me, and thanks for pointing that out. Knowing my older daughter has a weak stomach, I say, “Maybe I should wear a hat before your sister gets down here?” Younger daughter, “Why? She will probably notice the hat before she notices your ear.” Me, “Yes, but the hat won’t be ‘gross.’” I decide not to do anything and my older daughter, who is grumpy in the morning (and plenty of other times throughout the day) barely looks at me. If she noticed my ear she never mentioned it. But it is pretty bad, and sticks out like a sore thumb.

So my day is off to a great start! Luckily I don’t have anywhere to go where I will need to explain my new deformity. Last year at this time I was complaining about Verizon and my Black & Decker Toaster. When I think about that, my ear doesn’t seem quite so bad.





No comments:

Post a Comment