Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Everyone You Know Is Struggling…



That’s what my daughter said to me after seeing my facebook status always asking for prayers for friends or sending them. Until facebook, I never realized how much of a struggle life is for just about everyone. The updates I read make me very much aware of the daily challenges so many of my friends are facing, and I don’t even have that many friends. I have tried to keep my list to a minimum so that I can pay attention to the ones I have and offer prayers and advice if I can. They do the same for me.

They call facebook a social medium. People who have never met or even spoken on the phone, connect with one another, It’s more than a social medium to chat about what’s happening in your life. It’s a support group when you need to talk, but only have a few minutes here or there to use the computer. You know, when you get back, there will be responses of support, encouragement, advice, prayers. Not everyone has that in real life. People today are too busy to cultivate and nurture real friendships. That takes a lot of time and who has time? Life is a juggling act. We can’t squeeze everything in as it is, much less an hour or two phone call. But today we have facebook. As fast as you can type, you can talk about your problem and soon many people will be there offering to help in any way they can, without any expectations just genuine concern. It’s amazing when you think about it.

Facebook is also like having a virtual family. You really grow to care for many people and they reciprocate. They take time out of their day for you and follow up with private messages to see how you are doing. How many real people that you know do that? We talk to these people on a daily basis. If we are missing, they worry something is wrong. The closest people in my family don’t know as many details about what is going on with me as my facebook friends do. I find my friends to be accepting and nonjudgmental. Maybe that’s why facebook is one of the first places I turn to when something goes wrong?

When I joined facebook it was because some friends had joined and they wanted me to be part of their circle of friends. I did so reluctantly, not knowing anything about this “social media.” It was like a playgroup for adults. It took me a while to get used to it. Now I spend a lot of time checking my facebook page and looking in on friends. We play games via facebook, we share pictures, we share stories and memories, progress reports on diets and exercise, favorite music, tips, bargains we come across, recipes, interests, the list never ends. I love it.

The only thing I am doing now is keeping my friend list to a minimum. I don’t want to have so much going on, on my page that I cannot keep up with those who matter most to me. Maybe today I will scroll down my list and see if I can trim it down a bit. If you are on my friend list, then I hope you know you matter to me. We were all brought together for a reason and it seems to be working out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment