Sunday, August 7, 2011

I Love Lucy...



Lucille Ball would have been 100 years old this weekend. It’s still hard to believe she is gone. I literally grew up watching her shows and movies. She is one of those rare talents who was a legend in her own time. The I Love Lucy show had people laughing 50 years ago and still has them laughing today. Where did the time go?

There was just something about Lucille Ball that made you want to laugh. Maybe it was her red hair or that devilish twinkle in her smiling eyes. I can’t imagine anyone not laughing at her humor. I’m sure I watched all the episodes of I Love Lucy many times, and I loved them all, but some just stand out in my mind more than others.

Remember the episode where she is stepping on the grapes in a huge vat in Italy?

Or the one where she keeps trying to tell Ricky she is pregnant and finally has to do it at the Tropicana, during one of his shows.

How about the time she thinks no one remembered her birthday so she joins a little group called the “Friends of the Friendless!”

I know everyone remembers the chocolates on the conveyor belt that goes so fast she ends up shoving chocolates down her dress, in her pockets in in her hat!

I remember her trying to smuggling a huge cheese on the plane home from Italy, wrapped in a baby blanket!

How about when she tried to steal John Wayne’s footprints from Grauman’s Chinese Theater?

I could probably name all the episodes if I put my mind to it. They were all ingenious, comedic ideas that have stood the test of time.

There will never be another comedienne like Lucille Ball. She was truly one of a kind. Thank God we have DVD’s of all her work so it will never be lost. I’ll bet people will be watching her for many, many years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment