Sunday, August 28, 2011

We Survived Hurricane Irene…



Well the news has been talking about this storm for days. It’s true the areas near water were hard hit. As for me, I live inland, and my main concern was the huge tree in my backyard. Last fall I saw so many tress lying on the ground that I got very paranoid about this tree. If it were to fall it would land on the house and hit my daughter’s bedroom.

Of course the girls think I am blowing the tree out of proportion, and they can never foresee something happening until it does. I slept through the night. I didn’t hear any excessive rain or wind. I got up at six as usual. Everything was fairly calm. But I kept an eye on the tree and listened to the weather reports while the girls slept.

By 7:30 am the winds were really blowing and the branches were swirling around. I was anxious, so I woke up my daughter and made her move to my bed and finish her sleep. At least then I could stop worrying about her being in harms way. The worst was supposed to come at 12 noon. Suddenly, they are saying the eye of the storm is already on us and they expect it to move through here pretty quickly. The winds were bad for about 30 to 40 minutes. The branches blowing in every direction. I am practically holding my breath until it passes.

I get the girls up at 9:30 am. Ten minutes later the rain practically stops and there is a brightening outside with the sun actually trying to come out. They missed the worst of it, all of it really. In an hour it may look like nothing ever even happened here. They slept through it without a care in the world. I miss those days when nothing happen concerns you. It could have been a lot worse. I am so glad it wasn’t. I even had the phonebook out ready to call tree removal places.

So we survived hurricane Irene! I hope there was a minimal of damage and danger everywhere else. When you think about it, there is no place in the country that is safe from Mother Nature!




No comments:

Post a Comment