Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shopping For School…




It’s that time of year again when many of us early birds get out there and shop for school supplies and clothes for the kids…only I am done with that. Some of you may be reading this and feel envious of me, but I am sad about it. I actually enjoyed going out every August and stocking up on all the new supplies and picking out the new fall clothes and shoes. But my “baby” is in her last year of college and already has everything she needs. There is no need for me to go out to Staples for anything, except maybe a package of pens and some folders, if that.

I was in Staples the other day, looking around for some legal documents and saw all the sales on school supplies. I got distracted from my mission for a few minutes, picking up the new pencil cases and looking at all the colorful notebooks that I won’t be buying. My husband got me back on track. I found the legal documents, but they were outrageously priced! It’s just a few pieces of paper, but they wanted $11 for it. I am thinking I must be able to find them online somewhere, so I leave. I leave, but not before I have another look around. I see the colored plastic folders and have to pick a couple up. I decide, before I get carried away, to walk out the store. I am sad to leave empty handed, knowing I will probably not be returning any time soon.

There will be no shopping for clothes either. My “baby” has her business clothes and her scrubs already. She needed them for the summer already, it’s a 12 month program. She is all set. My older daughter is shopping for last minute things for her vacation. We may not even get to take our annual trip to the outlets, to walk around and window shop before having a nice dinner out. Time is running out for that too. Don’t mind me, I am just not ready to give up being a “mommy.”

I’ll be going through the same thing at Christmas too. I’ll pop into Toys R Us and look at what I would have been buying this year, if they were still little. That’s my personal secret tradition and I make my husband suffer through it with me. I’m sure he “loves” looking at the latest Barbies, the newest games, and the hottest toys. But he humors me anyway.

Don’t be too quick to wish away the school shopping trips. They are special times that won’t be coming again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment